Progress Update: Subfloor Framing Done!
It's been a while since my last post, and that's for good reason: now that I have all the materials I need to get started, I've been busy building instead of blogging!
Over the past week I've accomplished a lot:
- I moved the trailer into its indoor location, propping it up on jack stands and leveling it.
- I received a huge lumber order with 2by's, plywood and all the other various odds and ends needed for framing.
- I measured, cut and fit all subfloor framing pieces and screwed them together, pre-drilling each hole.
- I then took off the framing (assembled in 3 pieces) and applied aluminum flashing to the entire underside of the trailer, nailing down with flat roofling nails, caulking all nails and seams. (Careful measuring and cutting was needed to leave exactly enough flashing sticking out each side to wrap around and nail to the side of the frame, once placed back on the trailer).
- I moved each framing section back onto the trailer (very hard with one person, as they are heavy!), once again checking for level and square.
- I secured the subfloor framing to the trailer deck boards with 20 3/8" x 3 1/2" lag screws.
- I secured the framing to the 8 custom brackets on each side of the trailer with 3/8" bolts and lock washers.
- I measured out aspects of the floorplan, making markings for interior walls and placement of rough plumbing that will go inside this floor space.
The pictures below show the completed framing with aluminum underneath and everything bolted in place.
The first few days were fun putting the miter saw to good use. The last two were less fun, squeezed in the dirty, dark space under the trailer, drilling holes and ratcheting for hours to insert so many bolts. My added brackets and my desire to have the aluminum extend beyond the trailer deck to wrap around the framing made things more difficult and time consuming. Lifting the finished framing sections in and out of place (to be fit to within maybe a 1/16th of an inch inside the custom brackets) was a big challenge, as was the work under the trailer, managing a drill, changing bits, changing ratchet extensions to fit within trailer framing, plus keeping track of all the bolts, washers, etc. (All the while trying not to get sawdust in my eyes or drop the drill or ratchet on my face -- this only happened a few times!). An automotive dolly to help slide in and out from under the trailer would have really helped here!
Now I'm off the store to get some plumbing supplies to start the rough plumbing in the floor. Once the plumbing is in I can spray foam the whole thing and top it with 3/4" sheathing. Then wall framing begins!