Cedar siding and a test-run tiny house move

There’s been a lot of visible progress in the last couple weeks. Here’s a quick recap:

Once the metal panels were done, I had an amazing local woodworker (Duncan MacMaster — amazing guy, incredibly skilled and experienced) get started on the cedar siding while the house was still in its warehouse location. It was incredibly excited to get some cedar on the walls. I could start to see the fruition of my planning and materials resourcing coming together before my eyes!

First few pieces of clapboard in place

First few pieces of clapboard in place

More beautiful cedar!

More beautiful cedar!

I love the wood on metal

I love the wood on metal

woohoo

woohoo

End wall

End wall

"North" side - love the variation in color!

“North” side – love the variation in color!

I won’t get into all the details here, but I had been waiting almost 2 months for my replacement door to arrive, after having first been sent an in-swing door instead of out-swing as ordered. I was hoping to get the door installed before moving the house outside, but the time came in the siding work where scaffolding was needed, and the house was begging for fresh air and sunshine. So last Monday morning the house got her first test move, just going a mile or so down the street to an outside location at Duncan’s shop. Here’s a video of the tight fit out of the 14′ garage door. It looks even tighter in this video, but in reality I had 6-9 inches of clearance, so I knew I was safe going under.

Maybe even more exciting than getting the cedar started was getting the house outside! In the short time it’s been at it’s new location, the I have enjoyed working in the sun and fresh air immensely. I am incredibly grateful for having the indoor space but it was more than time to get out of the dark and dusty warehouse and into the light!

Not only that, but in the sunlight the cedar tones became more visible and beautiful. I’m a very happy man!

Duncan’s been working more on the siding since the move, and it’s looking more amazing every day. 3 walls are nearly finished now, including some great detail work under the cantilevered loft area.

Finished wall section

Finished wall section

beautiful details

beautiful details

yay!

yay!

this end is looking fine!

this end is looking fine!

I’ve also been busy getting the interior ready for foaming. I had my plumber friend over once again to finish up anything that would be enclosed in the walls. We tested hookups to the water heater and installed a couple manifolds to get the hot and cold input to each part of the house. Forgot to take a picture of the plumbing, so more on that later…

Porch decking!

Porch decking!

I also finally got the door! And got it installed right away, so I can could begin to store (and lock) my tools and materials inside. For various reasons (some the fault of the manufacturer — arg!) the door will never been perfect. But with some tweaking and modifications I was able to get most all problems solved well enough. There is still an issue with one side of the door not sealing well (to be resolved by my supplier, hopefully). I just have to come to terms that the door will never be perfect. But it’s good enough. No pictures of this yet too, except you can see it in the porch photo. Oh, yes, almost forgot, we cut and attached all the porch decking today as well! Finally a stable entryway!


Author: Alek Lisefski