Modern Tiny House Plans
These tiny home plans include almost 40 pages of detailed trailer specs, diagrams, floor plans, blueprints, images and materials list, allowing you to build to the same specifications as our original modern 8×20’tiny house on wheels featured on this site.Click here to view the plans
About the Tiny Project
The Tiny Project is our attempt to live a simpler, more conscious, debt-free life.
Inhabiting such a small space forces us tiny house people to live in a simpler, more organized and efficient way. Tiny homes encourage us to spend more time outdoors, in nature and engaging with our community. In this way, the tiny house life creates better health and healthy relationships…More about the Tiny Project
Watch our Video Tour & Interview by Faircompanies.com
Once I discovered this site, everything clicked inside me. I have completely switched my life goals around and take new initiatives every day to prepare myself for a tiny lifestyle. “Adulthood” now has a whole new meaning, and I am forever grateful for this inspiration." – Brittany White
Tiny Project Blog
We’re continuing to post to the blog with articles about tiny house living (including the challenges!), product reviews and with further tiny home plans and updates.
Latest Blog Posts
- Film Review: “Small is Beautiful: A Tiny House Documentary”
- Future uses for our tiny house (when we’re no longer living in it full-time)
- How to Make the Most Out of Your Space for Very, Very Tiny Homes
- Find your tiny house soul mate this Valentine’s day!
- 2015 tiny house events and workshops not to be missed!
- Viewpoints: Tiny House Tours & Respect for the Privacy of Homeowners
The whole house is a masterfully designed space! Beautiful, bright, cozy, organized, practical with a touch of whimsy. Well done, guys!" – Marsha
What are Tiny Houses?
Most tiny houses, or more specifically “tiny houses on a trailer,” are mini homes built on flatbed or gooseneck trailers. Building a tiny house on a trailer means the house is considered more like an RV, and does not need to adhere to the same square footage requirements, permits and codes associated with building a normal home on a foundation. Tiny houses use a tiny house trailer as their “foundation.” Building a tiny house on wheels allows for the mini home to be towed just about anywhere, giving the tiny house owner nearly unlimited freedom and flexibility.
Tiny homes are usually under 8.5 feet wide and vary in length from 12 to 24 feet. Tiny houses are restricted to 13.5 feet in order to fit under highway underpasses. Most tiny homes include a sleeping loft. Some (like our tiny house floor plans) include complete plumbing and electrical systems, like a full-size house would have, while others choose to live more simply, without water, and possible with solar as their only form of electricity.
No matter what tiny houses plans are used, no matter how the mini home is designed and constructed, tiny house owners tend to choose to do so for one of several reasons:
- Tiny houses are a more affordable option (compared to a full-size home) for debt-free living
- Tiny houses offer an alternative (especially for younger and older generations) to the increasingly difficult, traditional “American Dream” path to home-ownership.
- Building a tiny house is offers mobility and flexibility for anyone who does not wish to be tied to specific location.
- Tiny homes offer an incredibly simple yet all-inclusive form of shelter, perfect for out-of-the-way, off-grid living.
- Tiny houses are a great way to minimize environmental impact by living in a much more efficient and sustainable structure.
- Mini homes create simpler living — they are an easy to maintain, self-contained housing option for those of retirement age.
- Building a tiny house is a fun/challenging/rewarding and educational project used to share alternative housing options to the next generation of home owners/builders!
Author: Alek Lisefski