I had given up on EVER owning my own house , this project has given me hope and inspiration that it is indeed possible. Just love it!" – Nura
Our Modern Tiny House Plans Now For Sale!
We’re excited that we are now able to offer complete construction floor plans for the Tiny Project tiny house! These tiny home plans include almost 40 pages of detailed diagrams and images, allowing you to build to the same specifications as our original modern tiny house on wheels featured on this site.Click here to view the plans
About the Tiny Project
The Tiny Project is our attempt to live a simpler, more conscious, debt-free life.
Inhabiting such a small space forces us tiny house people to live in a simpler, more organized and efficient way. Tiny homes encourage us to spend more time outdoors, in nature and engaging with our community. In this way, the tiny house life creates better health and healthy relationships…More about the Tiny Project
Tiny Project Blog
Stay informed and keep up-to-date with our tiny house experience.
We’re continuing to post to the blog with articles about tiny house living (including the challenges!), product reviews and with further tiny home plans and updates.
Latest Blog Posts
- Thank You — all 9,000 of you!
- Inteview with Malissa Tack of Project Wosho
- Read our In-depth tiny house interview on Hobo with a Laptop
- Top 5 Reasons Tiny House People Are Winning the Race for Sustainability
- Our Tiny House Towing Adventure: Part Two
Building my own house in a conscious and eco-friendly has been a dream of mine for a long time, and your work specifically is mind blowing!" – Daniel
What are Tiny Houses?
Most tiny houses, or more specifically “tiny houses on a trailer,” are mini homes built on flatbed or gooseneck trailers. Building a tiny house on a trailer means the house is considered more like an RV, and does not need to adhere to the same square footage requirements, permits and codes associated with building a normal home on a foundation. Tiny houses use a tiny house trailer as their “foundation.” Building a tiny house on wheels allows for the mini home to be towed just about anywhere, giving the tiny house owner nearly unlimited freedom and flexibility.
Tiny homes are usually under 8.5 feet wide and vary in length from 12 to 24 feet. Tiny houses are restricted to 13.5 feet in order to fit under highway underpasses. Most tiny homes include a sleeping loft. Some (like our tiny house floor plans) include complete plumbing and electrical systems, like a full-size house would have, while others choose to live more simply, without water, and possible with solar as their only form of electricity.
No matter what tiny houses plans are used, no matter how the mini home is designed and constructed, tiny house owners tend to choose to do so for one of several reasons:
- Tiny houses are a more affordable option (compared to a full-size home) for debt-free living.
- Building a tiny house is offers mobility and flexibility for anyone who does not wish to be tied to specific location.
- Tiny homes offer an incredibly simple yet all-inclusive form of shelter, perfect for out-of-the-way, off-grid living.
- Tiny houses are a great way to minimize environmental impact by living in a much more efficient and sustainable structure.
- Mini homes create simpler living — they are an easy to maintain, self-contained housing option for those of retirement age.
- Building a tiny house is a fun/challenging/rewarding and educational project used to share alternative housing options to the next generation of home owners/builders!